Pages

Sunday 3 February 2019

The Dollar Game

In this post I'll talk about how I created The Dollar Game app for Android using Unity 3D. This was inspired by the Numberphile video on the topic.


This ad-free game can be downloaded free from the Play store here.

As soon as I saw this video about the Dollar Game I knew I had to turn it into a game.
Where. To. Start.
There are three things I need to solve to create this game:

1 - Control logic
This is the mechanism for interacting with the nodes, sending/taking money, keeping track of which nodes are connected.

2 - Visuals
The graphical style, visual representation of the nodes, edges, balance and transactions.

3 - Game Logic
This is quite a biggy. This will be responsible for generating new random games, this in itself isn't difficult [create nodes, randomly connect nearest n nodes, distribute money]... the difficulty is I have to ensure that the level is solvable, nobody is going to be happy if the graph is impossible to solve.

Lets knock off task 2 first, the visuals. Seeing as numberphile inspired the app I thought I'd use their brown-paper look and a handwriting style font. The rest of the elements are in keeping with that style. Done.

Now to build the control logic.
//TODO Explain the approach and publish code


Easy

Medium

Hard



Weighted node connections indicate how many dollars will be transferred for each transaction.




No comments:

Post a Comment